Friday, September 04, 2009

Your dog's face in our calendar

If you've ever been to BR's facebook page, you've probably given over part of your day to the amazing photos that people have been submitting of their pit bulls. I can spend hours in there Oooing and Ahhing.

We've been brainstorming ways to help more people see these gorgeous images. Lightbulb moment! Why not create a calendar that highlights the best of our online friends' pit bull photos? Online photo contests have been floating around the Net for awhile and they look like fun, so we signed up and are giddy with excitement about launching it out to the wide world of pit bull owners...


The theme - "My Dog is Family" - makes an important statement. People who are confused about pit bulls fail to understand that dogs (of any breed) that are kept indoors and treated as family companions are typically quite different from dogs used to guard or protect. The National Canine Research Council voices this distinction beautifully in their viewpoint piece on the difference between residents dogs and family dogs.

To help further this point, we'd love to use this contest to help circulate as many photos as possible of the dogs pit bull owners share their lives with. This contest allows the public to vote for their favorites ($1 a vote) which raises money for BAD RAP. The top twelve photos will earn a pet of the month placement in our 2010 My Dog is Family BR Calendar, and the photo with the most votes will grace the cover. We expect we'll be publishing some of the entries in other places, including our blog and website to help show others why pit bull owners are so deeply committed to their four-legged family members.
BAD RAP Photo Contest- Enter Here!

Thank you for showing off your best. The contest is now officially live and ready for your digital masterpieces...Let the fun begin!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to not only raise funds but to spread the good news of the pits!!!!! We already put in our entry!!!!!!!

2 Brits, 2 Yanks, 2 Dogs said...

I'm going to be entering - What a great idea.

Kari in Alaska said...

I just sent in two photos :)

Boris said...

Honky-Tonk, You get my 'test vote' for your 'test photo', because your more than just a 'test pit bull'.

I'll race you to the Calendar Cover as your BFPF (Best Foster Pal-pibble Forever!)

I'll check back, Boris CGC

Ken Foster said...

I refuse to steal this idea, dammit!

Donna said...

LOL Ken :-)

Anonymous said...

How many pictures can we enter, and do you prefer them to be with people?

joneseynroxie said...

How can this NOT be a rigged contest..after all you showed us the "beast" and his clan of children from a shot fair this summer (wis?). We will send our entry but hey thats tough competition

Rachel said...

What a great contest! I've been plugging it all over, and I of course had to enter. I hope that Lucy snags a spot in the top 13.

Kudos to you brilliant BAD RAP folks for coming up with such a great fund-raising idea.

who wouda thunk it?? said...

the picture of the sunflower dog is the most precious!! if I wasn't so busy voting my own dog, I would make sure "sunflower" gets published. That pup is breakin my heart!

Anonymous said...

Donna & Tim:

Im a long blog follower and pit owner. We have entered your contest but I just love to see all the pictures of these wonderful dogs who are so loved. Those who are against pits, really have no clue do they????

Donna said...

nope - they really have no idea, anon.

with so many great photos, we're really going to have to figure out other ways to get them out there above and beyond a calendar.

thx for entering yours!

Anonymous said...

I spent all morning and part of the afternoon reading all the stories, I was glued! I was very jealous of the man on the couch with his five dogs!!! That is my idea of heaven.

J.Hart
Dearborn MI

Dianne in DC said...

I just wish I'd know you could write so much. I'd have much more to say about Chardonnay. Is there any way to edit it? Any how,you can't see them in the picture I posted, but she has fight scars on her face. We think she was a bait dog.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

I sent a comment this morning regarding Dicks' Sporting Goods refusing to stock sick vick jerseys. I only posted to comments because my email message to you kept bouncing.

Dicks' is a big box sporting goods store here on the east coast, so I don't know if you've heard of them but they are a big chain. It would be nice if we could get that phone # up here so y'all could give them a call of support, even those of you on the west coast.

Keep up the great job you are doing with badrap!

Brian

Anonymous said...

Oh, I see that Dicks' is not stocking MVs merch due t lack of deman, an even better reason to call them and ask that they do not carry them.

Brian

Virginia Kelly said...

Donna, I agree that you should find another way to get these photos and stories out. This is a book. Ever since I read Elise Lufkin's books, Second Chances and Found Dogs - photos and vignettes about rescue dogs, I thought there should be one just for pit bulls. You've got all of the material right here in My Dog is Family. Boy, would I love to be a part of that project.
Virginia