Sunday, October 02, 2011

treadmills - dog powered fun

If your dog has a lust for life, you might really like a treadmill for days when a quick winter walk just isn't going to cut the mustard. Physically confident dogs can take to them almost immediately (Star did!) Other dogs need days or weeks of mini-sessions around and finally on the mill before they feel comfortable enough to jog with joy. Once they get it, you can get them dog tired in just 10-20 minutes time. Priceless.



The video shows a (dog powered) carpet mill. We've had the most experience with these, although some homes like the motorized treadmills. If you do a search on Amazon.com for 'dog treadmill,' a few motorized options will pop up. We prefer the quiet of the dog powered mills. The one in the video is a Grand Carpet Mill. We can also recommend the Colby Carpet Mill.

One harness option comes from the sled dog folks - here - and the one Star was filmed in came from here.

Many thanks to Letti de Little for the demo, and to Uba for loaning his precious mill to Star while he recuperates from knee surgery.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Star is a beauty! WTG! Gosh she is determined & smart. (:

Sarah (fan in NYC)

Meredeth said...

I want to get one of these so badly for my sweeties! They would love it.

In Black and White said...

I don't think I could get through the Chicago winter without our treadmill. I inherited a plain old people treadmill from a friend and just taught my Billy how to hop up on it and trot along. That dog will do anything for chicken...

Toyin O. said...

Fun video,thanks for sharing.

Andrea Partee said...

I've never seen a treadmill like this one. Where can I get one and tell my readers about it?

Donna said...

Hi Andrea - the links in the blog post should get you to where you want to go. Thx.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I don't mean to spam...but if anyone is reading this article and is interested in the motorized variety of dog treadmill, my site (www.fidogetsfit.com) specializes in PetRun Dog Treadmills and have competitive pricing. We also give 5% of our profits to a different pet charity every month.

Treadmill said...

Andrea,

Thanks for the post and video.

Sophie said...

Do you have any recommendations for good places to get *blueprints* for a treadmill? There is no way I have $400 to drop on a treadmill, but I'm pretty handy and think I could make my own but obviously I want it to be just as safe and sturdy! I've looked around but don't know what criteria for a good mill would be! Thanks!

marksdorcel said...

I passed down a simply old individuals fitness treadmill machine from a companion and just trained my Billy how to hop up on it and trot along.

marksdorcel said...

I am quite useful and think I could make my own but obviously I want it to be just as protected and sturdy.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have heard a lot that doggy treadmills. It can be helpful for our dog. It such a very valuable physical therapy.


California Cavalier Breeders

janet said...

I've been reading this post over and over for a few weeks now and I'm finally going to buy a treadmill for me and my dog. It rains often so this is also a plus to get one. http://www.whatisrightforme.com/treadmill/ says pretty much any would be ideal since I'm not using it for running. Anyone have any experiences when purchasing a treadmill?

Best Dog Treadmills said...

Dog treadmills are truly useful for dogs that don't have enough exercise or can't have exercise outdoors.

yunnan baiyao capsules said...

As crates for dogs have become more common in dog owner's homes the question that is frequently asked is - when should I introduce the crate into my dog's routine? The accepted approach is to aim to have the crate in the house when you bring your dog home.