Friday, November 27, 2009

The Princess and the Pea. Sula bust dog represents.

Oklahoma Annie did a great job representing today in a news interview alongside Sula Foundation's Ken Foster. She sure is getting around. Photographed here for a greeting card ... The bust dog turned princess is trying out dog beds in a local store. Do you think she felt the pea?

New Orleans sure needs these guys. The city was emptied of pets after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, but spay/neuter efforts were a bottom drawer priority while nola focused on rebuilding itself and - No surprise - Nature had her way and a new population of pets was born nearly overnight. Now the city is back to where they started, with - once again - pit bulls over-represented and filling the shelter, just like the old days.

The Sula Foundation is helping pick up some of the slack by getting out to the communities with shots fairs and appointments for free spay/neuter for pit bulls. Buy their calendar and help these guys do their good deeds.

And if you live in nola, please give that Annie girl a big fat kiss from me. Damn - I love me some Annie! (Link here if the video below doesn't work for you.)

10 comments:

Sally's mom said...

GREAT interview! And I bought me a calendar -- How could I not with my Sally being a pit bull from New Orleans, too!

Dianne said...

I shoulda never signed up with Pay Pal. I bought two. Guess lots of my friends will be getting pit bull calendars in their Christmas stockings. And my sister is afraid of pits. Maybe she won't realize these floppy eared dogs are pits.

Mike Sweeney said...

Way to go Mr Foster!!

Ken Foster said...

I had to wait a day (almost) to make sure that I wasn't the very first person to comment here. Annie melts hearts everywhere she goes, and the TV studio was no exception. When our segment was done, Annie was surrounded by a mob of reporters and technicians. And just before we were on air, when I looked up and caught her face on monitor, I got a little choked up when I thought about all she's been through in the past few months.

Thank you for posting this, Donna, and sending people our way. We're getting reading for our next vaccination clinic, in the Lower Ninth Ward after the new year, so every calendar sale helps! And for people who already have enough calendars, we also have bundles of the Annie greeting card available on our site. The inside reads "Here's to getting everything you wish for..."

Don't worry about Annie, she'll be getting plenty of kisses for all of you.

vchiumw said...

Great interview! Annie was great just hangin out like "m'eh, this is what I was meant to do..."

Page against the machine said...

Annie, you were BORN to be a celebrity...

Can't wait to get my calendar!


Hugs and kisses,

Page

Ken Foster said...

UGH.

Today's paper announces that New Orleans will suspend animal control beginning Dec. 1. Officers will respond to emergency calls only and citizens are being asked to round up strays and drive them to the shelter on their own.

http://www.nola.com/pets/index.ssf/2009/11/post_9.html

Kirsten said...

I ♥ Annie-- just bought a calendar :)

Heather Cherry said...

That princess and the pea pic was the most precious thing ever! I sure hope she didn't feel the pea. Here's to squishy beds for Annie forever!

Boris said...

Mademoiselle Annie,

Three things to say:

- "Le grand travail avec" with le Sula Foundation M. Foster!

- "Pouvoir l'aide de Dieu vous" NOLA.*

and

- Geaux Saints,

"Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez" for us Bullies, Boris

(* as your government est la petite aide)